Saturday was one of those rare days with a completely empty box on the calendar. So I headed out early for my walk and then set off to do some sewing. The goal was to stitch up a Wiksten shift using up a piece of linen from my stash. The first hurdle came when I realized I was a bit short to have the front and the back on the fold but a seam up the back wasn’t a problem. I pinned and cut and stitched. I tried it on before adding top stitching and pockets and thought it was a bit full in the bag but didn’t worry too much. By early afternoon I was ready for a shower and errand wearing my new dress. As I stood in front of the mirror I realized that bagginess was going to bug me but I did not want to unstitch the whole thing. I also didn’t want to make a belt (which is what the pattern suggests). I played with the idea of back darts but finally decided to add a casing with some elastic. The casing in on the inside of the dress and it does pull the bulk in nicely. I’m not thrilled with the dress and plan to revisit the pattern using another piece of fabric from my stash. Stay tuned.
I’m still plugging away on the purple scarf and have started a new shawl and this sweater – using up more stash for both projects. I am almost finished with Born a Crime – a great audio book – and making plans for Mary’s Summer Book Bingo. I pushed myself to do a cover all last summer which burned me out so I will be gentler with myself this summer.
We have a 4 day weekend coming up with more empty calendar boxes! Life is good.
Off to join Kat and the Unravelers today.